North East Rails
Footnotes for Rail Photos
Click here if you are stuck in someone else's frame
"Acela," for "acceleration" and "excellence."
Manufacturers: Bombardier of Montreal and Alstom of Paris
Maximum speed: 165 mph, but service will not exceed 150 mph Acela
They are not MU's per Merritt D. Mullen email@example.com
"In the US, multiple unit (MU) in a passenger train (such as EMU or DMU, depending on whether it is electric or diesel) normally means the individual cars are each powered and controlled from one cab and that there is no separate locomotive. MU refers to the ability to remotely control multiple powerplants from one station. For example, in freight service, it is normal to have multiple locomotives propelling the train. In the steam engine days, each locomotive required an operating crew (engineer and fireman). When diesel electrics came along multiple units had the ability to be operated by one person in the lead unit as they were all connected electrically and could be operated remotely.
In passenger service, the term usually had a different meaning. It referred to individually powered passenger coaches which could all be operated from the lead coach. An electrically powered passenger train with traction motors in each of the coaches would be considered a "MU" trainset in the US. A locomotive-hauled trainset where the coaches are simply trailers is not an "MU" trainset, no matter how permanently coupled the coaches and locomotive are.
The Acela Express trainset has an electric locomotive on each end and unpowered passenger cars in between. The only thing about it that is "MU" is that both locomotives are controlled from one cab. I believe the ICE trains are the same as the Acela Express trains in the way that they are powered, and the ICE train would not be considered an "MU" train in the USA."
The NYC was actively seeking to find a way to draw ridership back to rails
back in the 1960s.
They invested heavily in three experiments:
1. The GM Aerotrain
2. The Xplorer
3. Testing whether the (then) present-day tracks could handle high-speed passenger traffic.
This is where the M497 comes into play.
The B-36-H jet pod was installed to provide sufficient thrust to get a rail
car moving at or above 180 mph for purposes of the test. This was the least
expensive way to accomplish the goal.
Wind tunnel tests were conducted at Case Western Reserve in Cleveland and
the pair of jet engines were purchased on the surplus market from the good
After the test, the engines were used for snow blower research, so the investment was well made. This was an engineering effort all the way. Some have erroneously labeled it as a PR stunt. The most important thing learned was that the tracks COULD accommodate high-speed travel without special preparation. So, the test proved just what was hoped.
After its moment of glory the M497 went back to Cleveland, where it was dismantled. The torque converters were reconnected and the seats restored. It returned to its Quotidian life as an NYC commuter car. After the tests, M497 spent it's last years as a pedestrian RDC3 running on the Hudson Line between Poughkeepsie and Harmon for Metro North.
As of a result of the Penn Central Merger (1968) M497 was renumbered No. 97, and renumbered again in 1969 as No. 98. It was maintained in Croton Harmon N.Y. and usually used on upper Harlem and Poughkeepsie runs. It was sold to Conrail in May 1976.
The ex-M497, ex No. 97 actually was signed over to MTA as No. 98 but never ran for MTA. The car was shopped and cannibalized and retired in Dec. 1977. After sitting ignominiously in the deadline surrounded by the weeds of Croton East yard for seven years, it was finally scrapped by Metro-North in 1984. - per Hank Morris
The New York Central's jet RDC RDC3 #M497, set the US speed record at 183.681 mph in 1966, in an experimental run between Butler, IN and Stryker, OH. The September issue of Smithsonian's Invention and Technology mag (right in the back) has more about the jet tests. The only practical result of this car was the jet snowblower now used in Buffalo.
So, here's the US rail speed records, as best as I can tell:
183.85 mph jet-RDC July 24, 1966 183.681 mph jet-RDC 1966 170.8 mph TurboTrain December 20, 1967 168.3 mph Metroliner 168 mph Acela October 11, 1999 2001 (power car) 3401 (end car, coach, aka Businessclass) 3506, 3508, 3504,3507 (coach) 3200 (end car, first class, aka Firstclass) 2003 (power car) -- Bob Scheurle firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com NJ Assoc of RR Passengers at http://www.eclipse.net/~scheurle/njarp
From: Bruce A. Collins (firstname.lastname@example.org)
The Wooten firebox was designed to burn culm, which is a high-grade waste (or low-grade coal, take your pick) produced by the anthracite "breakers" or preparation plants in the anthracite area of northeast Pennsylvania. The combination of higher ignition temperature required for anthracite in the first place and the clinkering produced by the low-grade (high-ash) coal and rock in the culm required the larger grate area of the Wooten firebox. Why would the railroads want to burn this low-grade stuff? Because it was extremely cheap, and in at least some cases free! IIRC all of the anthracite roads resorted to camelbacks for smaller power around the turn of the century -- Reading, New York, Ontario & Western, Lehigh Valley, at least , as well as the D&H. Similar fireboxes were used on some Great Northern and, especially, Northern Pacific power, in particular the more modern articulateds, for the same reason, to expand grate area to burn low-grade coal. In these cases it was low-Btu high-moisture lignite from North Dakota and subbituminous coal from Montana and Wyoming. None of these designs resulted in camelbacks though.
Amtrak Undercutter, working between Shore and North Philadelphia (PA.) Station. This is one of 2 production Undercutters working on the NEC. This machine removes old ballast material from the track, screens it, and returns the "cleaned" ballast along with new stones to the track area. The ballast must be cleaned to promote proper drainage of the track area. It can also be used to lower track to promote clearances. The work pauses as an Amtrak Clocker passes. per Stan Feldman
When the tie inserter needs to insert from the opposite side of the tracks, they simply rotate it in place. This is done by placing a metal plate in between the rails. A hydraulic "pogo stick" extends down from the inserter into this plate, and they simply push it around 180 degrees.
Weirton Jct. was at one time a Pennsylvania Railroad Yard. Weirton Steel bought it from Conrail in the early 80's. It it used as a staging area for inbound and outbound cars. Besides a rail yard we have 2 scrap yards in the area.
When we make steel the steel it is in liquid form heated to about 2800 degrees. The waste or by-product is slag. The hot slag (still somewhat in liquid form) is hauled in cinder ladles to a dumping are where it is allowed to cool and then ground up into slag. Another by-product is sand. This sand contains fine pieces of glass and is not usable as sand as most of us think of sand.
The track mobiles in the photos are used to stage a small number of
railroad cars for scrap loading / unloading.
The track sweeper couples up to a hopper on the right side as you look at the photo and the belt
transfers dirt or whatever into the hopper. We tend to get a lot of ore pellets, coke, lime, etc. on or
around the tracks from leaking cars.
Per David R. Gilliam email@example.com, Dispatcher for Weirton Steel
The Movie was Superman III staring Christopher Reeves. VIA FP7 units 6503 & 6511 were painted into a blue & red scheme for a few action shots in that movie. A special solvent was prepared that was suppose to remove the stage paint however it damaged VIA's paint underneath & so the loco's had to be repainted at the Movie Co's expence. There is an excellent color picture of the train in issue # 80 of Extra 2200 South Magazine. Per Claude Prutton
The guard truck rides the rails looking for problem areas on and along the track, listens to make sure that the defect detectors go off, and that all the lights work on the towers. They start early in the morning 7 days a week - Per Brendan Kelly
This was part of a four unit set (ABBA) of General Electric locomotives with Cooper-Bessemer 1200hp 8-cyls engine. They were prototype (test bed) units that ran on the Erie from 1954 to 1959. They were repowered with 2000hp 12cyls and sold to UP as Model UM20B nbrs 620, 620B, 621, and 621B . Traded in on U-50s in 1964.
The middle of the vehicle has a set of hyrail wheels that come down and push out on the rails with the force of a loaded coal train supposedly to find the weaknesses and wide gauges of the rails. - Per Jan Olejnik@aol.com
Before Auto-train was converted to Superliner equipment, passengers would go through a cafeteria line in the car that contained the kitchen. Then they'd be led to the table car(dinning car without a kitchen) by an employee to be seated.
May 2,1956 10.30 pm This was train 903 from Lambton to London with 2205 assisting 5420. It hit Extra 5135 West (with assist engine 2206) that came out of the siding after being in to clear thus giving 903 a clear signal. One engineer (Bill Palmer) was killed as was one brakeman (Tom Watson), others hurt including George Nutkins very seriously. He recovered and went on to become General Superintendent London Division. per R.L.Kennedy oldtimetrainsNOolSPAM@rrmail.com
The detector monitors the flange movements and the temperatures of the passing wheel sets - too much friction because of a problem would raise the usual temperatures above the average range which the detector could pick up and warn the crew. The computerized voice is funny, usually simply reporting something like, "Moosic detector. Reporting Southbound train. Total axle count: 800. No defects." You can hear it on a scanner tuned to the road frequency. The conductor is required to acknowledge the report on the radio. - per Joe Blizman firstname.lastname@example.org
It's a wheel flange lubricator. The plunger is used to pump the grease from the reservoir on the right into the manifolds located inside the rail on each side of the plunger. The grease squeezes out under the train's wheel flanges as the train passes. There is probably a sharp curve nearby. - Per James Robinson email@example.com
RTL III Turboliners... "They are the fastest fossil fuel (non-electric) trains in service in North America, capable of reaching 125mph, and include two power cars, two coaches, and a cafe' car." "In the 1970's, Amtrak bought seven Turboliners, to operate in New York State. Super Steel in Schenectady is remanufacturing these Turboliners, providing brand new engine and mechanical systems, completely overhauled interiors and safety improvements." "Each Turboliner costs an estimated $10.8 million." "SuperSteel just completed the first Turboliner: Amtrak plans to place it in service this fall. A second train will be completed around the first of the year 2001. In addition, five more remanufactured high-speed trains are scheduled for completion in 2002." "They have been rebuilt to current new equipment standards and they are lighter, which saves energy. Their new turbines are quieter, more powerful, more fuel efficient and less polluting than other passenger trains." The Turboliners are certified for 125mph. Until track and signals are improved, their top speed will be limited to 110mph."
"EMC built two pre-production SC units for the DL&W in 1935, #425 & 426. #426 was built in March 1935, B/N 517. It was sold to the P&BR as no.109 in 1946, resold to the S&H as no.25 in 1947 and returned to P&BR in 1951. It was then sold to Bethlehem Steel as no.109. It has been restored and is used by the Delaware-Lackawanna, a Genesee Valley Transportation owned shortline that serves the Scranton, PA area." - per Mark Laundry
"Originally, all the units were in the blue-and-white (only) sweep
design, which I've also heard called "waves". GP38-2 #252 was delivered
from EMD in 1976 in the Bi-Centennial version with the center stripe
It was decided a couple years later to paint ALL the large road units this way....and the Alco FA and EMD F-unit "power packs" also received a bit of red paint to spruce them up. All the GP38-2's, C-420's, and power packs had red on the in 1979-1980, and after that it was decided to "save money' and eliminate the red in future paint jobs; back to the blue-and-white. In the mid-1990's, LIRR went to a blue and yellow paint scheme for their motive power and power packs." - per Steve Hoskins firstname.lastname@example.org
"Halliburton sells 'drilling mud' for oil exploration. This is a heavy fluidized material pumped into drill holes to cool down the head of the drills that are cutting through solid rock. The cars have been around for 30 or more years, I think. Halliburton also operates some cars that look like tankcars except they have pneumatic outlets along the bottom." - From: Tim O'Connor email@example.com
Designed to transport steel products such as steel pipes, structural steel, and machinery. It has thicker side walls and cutaways around the wheels. You will also notice it has a regular flat deck with what looks like provisions for stakes. See TTX Web site
"It was constructed years ago on a old PRR shortie flat car. I understand it was used to ship transformers and has arch bar 70 ton trucks under it. The plow blade pivots on the front of the flat car and there is a old locomotive brake cylinder and some pullies that raise it up.
With low horsepower Baldwin-Westinghouse motors you come to a stop in heavy plowing. Just before stopping the motorman raises the blade and throws the motor in reverse, getting back out of the cut before the snow sets up and one becomes stuck. A small MU hose was used to provide control air to the plow lift cylinder which is controlled by a couple of valves at the motormans station. The plow blade does not have any skirts which allow snow to roll back in on the track (not good) but allows for shoveling out and setteing rerailing frogs with ease (good if you have to do it)." - Per Dave Johnson firstname.lastname@example.org
The old rail that is being lifted to be used elsewhere. It is no good for mainline anymore, but still good for sidings, yards, etc. This relay rail actually went to build a new yard at Shepard in Calgary. They use the crane to lift the rail and feed it into a machine that farces it down through the cars. When one track has been filled they cut the rail off. When that string is all picked up, but there is still room for more rail in that track, they cut holes in the rail and then bolt the sections together.
Brandt Road Rail Corporation roadrailer can move 5 cars of ballast. I'm told that they can move up to 10, depending on what the load is. These have the advantage of not only being able to move a few cars of ballast/ties/whatever to a site, but also of being able to get off the rails and do other things. Most of the ones I've seen have a crane mounted on them which allows the crew to use the crane to lift rails/ties etc off the cars and depost them wherever. In addition, when the work day is done, if the cars don't have to be taken back to the main yard, they can be left on a back track some place, them the truck proceeds on the public highways - keeps one "train" off the rails somwhere. This one seems to only have a compartment behind the cab for 3 addition persons. I have seen them with a schoolbus type body which would seat about 12-16 persons - I guess a typical track gang. - per Doug Seymour email@example.com
In the designation AC4400CW-CTE, the letters "CTE" stand for Control Tractive Effort. This is a feature that will allow for the maximum tractive effort of the locomotive to be reduced automatically when used as a DPU (Distributed Power Unit) in non-heavy haul service such as on manifest trains. This will help to prevent failures such as broken knuckles. Now when used as a DPU in heavy haul service such as on a unit coal train, the unit will be capable of producing its full rated tractive effort. - Per Bryan Jones
The Brookville Mining built these units (DES-70B) special order. Powered by a six-cylinder, electronically-controlled, fuel-injected 600-hp Caterpillar 3456E diesel engine, they feature Kato main and auxiliary alternators and EMD D-78 traction motors. They carry 600 gallons of fuel max speed is 50 with train and they do have cabsignal/atc. I do not think to many railroads are interested in a locomotive with 35 ton Axle load. the engines are mainly for GCT as replacement for former Niagra electric switchers. - Per Jaap
They were developped to be used on the Churchill (Manitoba) line, which can't handle too big an axleload. The car can carry, I believe, 120 tons of grain. per Marc Dufour
8427 is the last surviving Canadian Pacific RS3.She was built in 1954 and served CP until 1979,she was then sold to a logging company here on Vancouver Island on Canada's West coast.The unit then served as a logging engine until 1984 when the line was shut down.The vintage locomotive is now owned by the Alberni Pacific Tourist line in Port Alberni and serves as a backup engine for their summertime tourist train ride. per Wayne Merlo
SP4000 and SP4001 were the first of the "Big Engines" to arrive on the property and one of the last to be converted to a cab-forward in 1928. Note that the tender is labeled "C.P." while the engine is Southern Pacific. While they proved to be power houses, they did not last very long because of breathing problems by the crews in long tunnels. Susequently they were transfered to a no-tunnel division and all future engines for "The Hill" (256 in all) arrived as Cab-forwards. Even these two were converted in 1928 - per Rick Hamman
GP16 is not an EMD product designation. It was applied to rebuilt GP7/9's, most notably from the popular SCL program. The SCL built GP 16's have a modified frame skirt, chopped nose with a railing around the entire low nose, and the steps on either side of the nose are set back on thw walkway. On the roof, you'll find engine acces hatches along the edge of the hood(on later models), and 4 exhaust stacks. The hood louver arrangement of the original GP7's is basically unchanged. MoPac rebuilt some RS11's with EMD engines, and dubbed them GP16's as well, but the SCL units are the ones most people are familiar with. firstname.lastname@example.org Another big spotting difference between a GP16 and GP18 is that an 18 usually has two cooling fans on the roof of the long hood as opposed to 4 fans on an SCL built GP16. Most of the low nose GP18's have the slope nose like the GP20 and some the one piece windshield, as well. Mike Derrick
A dynamometer car has instrumentation on board primarily to measure two things, drawbar pull or push (force), and speed over the rail. Using these two pieces of data acquired on a continuous basis, the locomotive output and train power requirements can be calculated. For example, if a new AC loco is to be compared to the performance of, say, a pair of SD40's, the dynamometer car could be placed behind the loco's in question on similar trains in similar territory and their performance could be plotted on graphs, etc. for evaluation and comparison later. They generally had a constant-motion chart which logged speed, back pressure, boiler steam pressure, cutoff and throttle position and pounds of drawbar pull. The car also had a kitchen, berths, and a small shop. An operator in the bay window called out the mileposts which were logged on the moving chart. The dynamometer cars were also used to check new locomotives under consideration for purchase and also to check the efficiency of their enginemen.
It's a "SWEEP". Or a SW1200RM. It's a CN oddity. CN remanufactured 8 SW1200's With long hoods, main generator, cooling fans, and traction motor blowers from retired GP9 units. CN uprated the 12V-567C prime mover from 1200hp to 1350hp during the rebuilding and used a GP9 hood on the SW1200RS cab and frame. 7107 was remanufactured in 1987 from ex CN SW1200 #1237. The unit was retired from the CN in February of 2000. CANAC is the leasing division of CN. Shane CN2500SM@trainorders.com
The lash-up is AAR #'s 100 (Research Car), 110 (Track Loading Vehicle) and 120 (Experimental Tank car) The Track Loading Vehicle has a retractable axle which is applies a measured lateral load to the rail and records how much the gauge widens. It's a way to test overall track strength, and also to determine where tie renewal is needed. If ties are weak, the gauge will widen more. Those trucks are off an F-unit, IIRC. Per email@example.com
Looks like he has the "buggies" out but does not have a shadow board out on this side and I can't see other side. If not there he's not doing alignment. With the front buggie(s) out and lights on the back I presume he's working surface, maybe picking up any dip and / or crosslevel on the existing surface. I think ET may stand for one of the Electro Tamper models. The way it would work is to position over a tie starting the cycle .. rail grips lift the rail until the shadow board interrupts the light beam, spades go down into ballast, vibrating and sqeezing the rock under the tie, then come back up and the rail is released before moving ahead to the next tie. The left and right sides work independently, i.e. the left rail may not be lifted the same height as the right rail as in the case of a cross level being corrected to level. Operator monitors on the more modern machines overriding control based on judgement and experience. per Dave Johnson firstname.lastname@example.org
"This HT-BB articulated truck is a modification of a standard arrangement of two conventional B trucks connected through a span bolster. It's unique, patented, feature is that it incorporates a link between the two B trucks to make them yaw in opposition to each other, but it is not a radial truck" (per Dave Goding). While the unit had 7 axles under it, only 6 had traction motors. The front truck had no motor on the center axle. This locomotive was scrapped after testing was completed
My father, William E. Young, was one of the Westinghouse engineers who helped to build the Blue Goose. He tells me that Westinghouse developed the gas turbine locomotive working together with Baldwin. It contained two gas turbines mounted side by side in the cab. Each of the turbines drove, in addition to a compressor, two generators, which in turn supplied power to four axles. One unit also produced steam, which was used for train heating, but not for additional power, so the unit was not a combined cycle. The turbine was driven by combustors mounted around it. The standard turbine had twelve 6" diameter cans. These cans were developed in a test stand. Holes were located so that approximately 1/3 of the air entered the primary cone, 1/3 in the secondary, and 1/3 used for cooling. Specimans of blade material mounted in the passage indicated the effect of burning various fuels; vanadium in black or residual oil caused corrosion. The gas turbine was started on diesel oil and shifted over to residual and back to diesel as needed. This locomotive was intended for high speed passenger service and was rated at 4000 horsepower. Although it was very powerful, it consumed considerably more fuel than a diesel locomotive. The Blue Goose was successfully demonstrated on a number of railroads - Union RR, Pittsburgh & Lake Erie RR, Pennsylvania RR, MKT RR, and Chicago & Northwestern RR. Unfortunately, Westinghouse decided about that time that they did not want to be involved in the locomotive business." per Carleton Young (Libertas51@aol.com)
"There was an experimental gas-turbine-electric locomotive built in 1950 by Westinghouse. It had a powder blue paint scheme hence the nickname "Blue Goose". It developed 2000 HP and rode on four two-axle road trucks similar to those used on Baldwin road switchers. It had a "Sharknose" cab inspired by Raymond Loewy's designs for Baldwin's later production road diesels." per Rich Frey (email@example.com)
"The T-2000, which can operate at speeds of 90 mph and may be towed at 110 mph, will continuously survey railroads throughout the general railroad system to assess track safety on those routes. Federal and state track inspectors, and railroad maintenance personnel will ride the T-2000 and examine data related to severe track conditions which could result in derailments. The T-16, which can be towed at 150 mph, will be used for specialized inspections of high speed rail lines and will serve as a research and development platform to explore new inspection technologies that are currently being developed by the FRA. The T-2000 replaces the T-10 Track Geometry Vehicle which has been in service for over twenty years inspecting nearly 30,000 miles of the nation’s rail system, but has reached the end of its service life." - USDOT
NC model demonstrator was constructed for EMD by Pullman Standard, in Chicago. The loco was powered by a 12 cyl 900hp Winton engine. After testing, the loco was sold to the Philadelphia Bethlehem & New England as #55.
"The new DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) -- a self propelled passenger car with the capacity to pull trailers -- has long been needed by rail planners and transit consultants to meet the challenge of expanding commuter systems....The deciding factor in this battle was the DMU's indisputable ability to seat 92 passengers, while the locomotive could carry none."
"Engine: Two Detroit Diesel series 60 motors with electronic fuel control. Each rated at 600 hp
Transmission: Two Voith T212 BRE with KB190 retarder. Final drive is two Voith KE553 to GSI 36630 Trucks."
From Bill Waller: "DMU" translates to Diesel Multiple Unit as opposed to "EMU" which translates to Electric Multiple Unit. I believe that these designations were established to avoid confusion with the traditional "MU" (Multiple Unit) designation used for conventional railroad locomotives used in standard freight and passenger service.
DMUs and EMUs are capable of operating independently or in trains. Each car is capable of providing revenue which is not the case for a stand alone locomotive which must pull a train to provide revenue service. MU in each case indicates the ability of controlling one or several units from a single control station by use of electronics and air. The cables and hoses at the end of each unit provide the inter-connectivity for the DMUs, EMUs, and MUs.
It is an Acéla engine whose electrical apparatus has been replaced by a turbine generator unit. The turbine only runs at 16 000 RPM and drives TWO alternators via a 4:1 reductor. The alternators are in fact synchronous TGV traction motors. Electrical cabinets are full of Alstom stickers
The GP22 was a prototype for a new locomotive design. It was a leap both in performance and appearance. In fact General Motors Automotive designers were solicited to submit ideas for the way this locomotive would look. Their influence is apparent. Internally the locomotive came with a 2250hp 567D-3 prime mover. This was the same engine used on the production GP30 models.
The previous production locomotive for EMD was the GP20. This model designation was directly based on the horsepower rating of the locomotive (2000hp). At the time the prototype GP22 was built EMD was locked in a horsepower war with GE. General Electric had just debuted their 2500hp U25B. (They were also basing their model numbers on horsepower at the time). EMD's marketing department came up with the idea of changing the new locomotive's model number to GP30 to make it more competitive, at least in the minds of potential buyers. It turns out that GP30's, while rated at 250hp less than the GE's, were far more reliable having less mechanical troubles, and GM followed up with greater customer service. History also shows that GP30's long outlasted their GE counterparts on U.S. Class 1 railroads; a testimony to their quality and reliability.
In "Union Pacific 1977-1980" by George Cockle, on page 96, the roster shows
GP30 #875 as the last of the "800" class GP30's and a footnote which reads "EMD GP22 demonstrator #5929,built 6/61; rebuilt as GP30 demonstrator #1962 8/61. Purchased second-hand 9/62." The roster shows a build date of 8-61 which corresponds to it's rebuilding into a GP30. There is a "builder number" of 26613 shown on this roster as well.
- Per Jerry Holton chessie17@REMOVExxTHISworldnet.att.net
1864 - Baker City began as a small town in Oregon's Sumpter Valley. 1889 - Oregon Lumber Company formed in Baker City. 1890 Aug 15 - Sumpter Valley Railway chartered in Oregon. 1891 Aug 01 - First logs rolled on 36" gauge SVR into OLC sawmill at South Baker. Finished lumber rolled out on a Union Pacific subsidiary. 1910 - SVR reached its longest length, 80 miles. 1937 May 8 - Salmon colored Davenport 2245/1937 36" gauge 30 ton diesel was installed on the SVR and worked shunting log cars around at Baker City. 1939 - Colorado's Uintah Railway closed down. Two articulated Mallets were sold to the SVR. The long tank engines were converted to oil burners and fitted with tenders. 1947 - Last log train as Sumpter Valley Railway abandoned. 1947-1961 SVR #101 continued to operate at Baker on a two mile dual gauge remnant of the road under the OLC. 1961 Dec 27 - SVR #101 out of service as last 1.5 miles of original SVR tracks abandoned. 1963 Dec - SVR 101 sold to D&RGW and run through Denver shops. Strap steps on all four corners were replaced with steps from old D&RGW steam tenders. The Davenport was repainted black with Grande Gold stripes and renumbered D&RGW #50 and was assigned to Durango CO as shop switcher. 1970 Feb - D&RGW #50 sold to Roaring Camp & Big Trees tourist line in California. It retained its D&RGW paint scheme and at some point, major damage was sustained to transmission gears and it was removed from service. 1981 Apr - D&RGW #50 was returned to Durango Railroad Museum. 1984 Jul - D&RGW #50 purchased by Colorado Railroad Museum in Golden, CO where it is on display in 1999. It has been restored and is operational now.
These Shays switchers were used on the streets of Albany NY. They were covered because the horses were frightened by the motion of the mechanism, and were referred to as "dummies".
This extremely unusual pseudo "locomotive" was used as a testing device for the transmission system components which would be applied to mining trucks and other EMD power products packages. This allowed EMD to evaluate the performance of various engine, generator, and transmission system components under load and at different altitudes by taking the 134 to Tennessee Pass and other locations. At one time this unit sported a small sign which said "This is not a locomotive". Somebody had added the words "very good" hand written between "a" and "locomotive".
This was originally a combine converted to an all baggage car. After the demise of steam on the Reading, this baggage car was converted to a steam supply car as the company no longer had its 4-8-4 (Iron Horse Rail Rambles) steamers to supply emergency power to sites on the line plus to customers needing temporary steam supplies. The car contained three of the steam heat boilers removed from road diesels after the loss of RPO contracts gutted passenger operations on the Reading. Car was sold to the Boston & Maine, disposition unknown. pre Evan Leisey
The Timken car with the AT&SF sysem map on it was one of the first cars to
wind up running on Santa Fe trackage using roller beraing trucks.
Although the transition from "oil waste journal" boxes took time, many
of the railroads of that era, did try the roller bearing cars; and
with the AAR finally coming out and making the ruling about all rail
traffic must have roller bearing trucks, the roads went over to that
style of trucks.
Also, the AT&SF was the first company to have roller bearing trucks under their passenger cars, much to the delight of their passengers, and the bottom line for the company. But the car was a rolling advertisement for a new way of reducing friction - roller bearings (made by the Timken Roller Bearing Company).
The PTS acutally uses some 'wheel' grippers to raise the track under the central portion of the car according to a sensing program. There are three sets of 'fingers' that then descend and vibrate the ballast under the ties to create the final level. It makes two passes - one to 'learn' what's needed and then one to 'do' the work. According to the crew - they do about 1 mile of track an hour - when all is going well. Additionally they used a ballast brusher and shaper to follow the PTS. The PTS has a scarper to pre-remove excess ballast before the operating portion of the car.
Thousand Islands #500 was built in the Oshawa Rwy shops using an old steeplecab electric and adding parts obtained from CLC-Whitcomb to produce this 35T locomotive. It was a gas electric 40GE. Oshawa Rwy sold it to the Thousand Islands RR and it was converted to a Cummins powered diesel with 250 hp. The CN acquired the unit along with the RR and retired it in 1963, and several years later was put on display in Gananoque, ON
The S-12 also has the unusual distinction of a model number
being used by another builder (the Baldwin S-12). The MLW S-12 had the 539
engine, turbocharged for 1000 hp. (CP had a similar model, the S-11 which was a non
turbo 660 hp version and had a round exhaust stack, vs. the S-12's oblong
The MLW S-13 was the successor to the MLW S-12 and featured the more reliable 251 engine. The units look very similiar, the only spotting feature being that the exhaust stack of the S-13 is near to the front radiator vs. on the S-12 it is toward the rear, nearer to the cab. - per Doug Kroll
CRI&P 750 and 751 were built with cab controls and one motor and a baggage compartment for use on the Rocky Mountain Rocket, which split at Limon, CO for Denver and Colorado Springs. A normal E unit would lead the train to Denver, while one of the "AB6" locos would lead the Springs section. A second motor was added later, making them more like a normal E-unit, and they wound up their lives in Chicago commuter service. - per Brian Ehni
The same company that makes airplane simulators (Link Co. of Binghamton) made locomotive simulators and put them in old passenger cars so that they could tour the system. per Doug Kroll
To get film of actual ATSF lines for use in the simulator, in the days before micro-chips, required big reel to reel cameras. Some of the bigger roads such as ATSF and SP took old passenger cars, modified them for camera installation, then had them pushed in front of a locomotive to film their lines. Nowadays, a good camcorder can be easily mounted on the low nose of a locomotive for the same purpose. per Doug Kroll
These were simply two old hoppers with wood beams added to knock down icles from the roofs of tunnels so that they would not damage locomotives or auto rack cars, which at one time were not covered as they are today. per Doug Kroll
RailPower electric traction motors on the axles are powered by a large bank of custom-designed lead acid batteries. The batteries are kept charged by a small generator driven by a diesel fueled prime mover. They have been built from GP9's and B30/36-7's
Brazil's E.F.Vitoria a Minas purchased 83 eight-axled meter-gauge SD45 descendants numbered 801-883 between 1970 and 1976.Their designation is DDM 45 and they are used in heavy ore traffic. These units are equipped with two Flexicoil "D" trucks especially constructed for meter gauge use.
"President George H.W. Bush, the 41st president of
the United States, will be honored by Union Pacific with a custom-painted
locomotive to be unveiled on the campus of Texas A&M University on Tuesday,
Oct. 18, during an invitation-only ceremony featuring President Bush and
Union Pacific" Chairman and CEO Dick Davidson, the railroad said.
The SD70ACe was one of four units delivered from EMD in primer. The first three became UP Heritage Units painted at Wisconsin & Southern's Horicon, Wis. shops into stylized Western Pacific, Missouri Pacific and Missouri-Kansas-Texas paint schemes. Three more Heritage Units are planned for sometime in 2006.
"The most spectacular railroad adventure during the Civil War was the 'Andrews Locomotive Raid' when a group of Union spies headed by Captain J. J. Andrews penetrated into Confederate territory in Tennessee, and stole the locomotive General and seven cars. They started north, planning to destroy the important Western & Atlantic R.R. behind them, but when closely pursued, and unable to carry out their purpose, finally having to abandon the General when they ran out offuel and water." -- T.C.S. 1955
Per Don Ross
Badger 2 was built by Pullman Co in September 1913, Lot 4015. It was used with steel tanks to carry fish to restock streams and rivers. It was sold to Walter H Knapp Inc as 104 and converted as a office car. It was sold to Mid-Continent Railway Museum in 1960 and set up as coach 104. It was sent to Hillsboro for service in 1962 and then to North Freedom in 1963.
From the Pittston Gazette of March 1, 1945: “ Located in Pittston Township, east of this city. This breaker was erected a number of years ago by the Hillside Coal and Iron Company, and was last operated by the Volpe Coal Company. Butler Colliery is one of the oldest mining operations in the Pittston district. The North Branch Canal was open to its Lackawanna feeder in 1834, Messrs. Mallory and Butler opened the old Butler Mine in 1838, sending their first coal by canal in 1840. The coal was dropped by plane from the high point at the top of Butler street, down along the incline of that street to a point on North Main street, immediately north of Butler street, where the tracks of the plane passed under Main Street, to the canal nearby, where the coal was dumped into canal boats. Butler Colliery has passed through various hands since it was first opened, but for many years it was owned by the Hillside Coal and Iron Company, which is affiliated with the Pennsylvania Coal Company.”
.This locomotive has quite a history. It started out as an electric locomotive built by "Copper Queen Reduction Works, Douglas, Arizona Territory, 10/1906" as cast into the side frames of the unit. During WW2, Phelps-Dodge needed a switcher so it rebuilt the electric locomotive to a Gas-Mechanical later to be re-engined as a Diesel-Mechanical. Douglas, AZ ~ 3/1993 per Robert Lehmuth
|Home Site Map Search Contact|
North East Rails © Clint Chamberlin.